Re: High availability with Postgres

От Alex Hunsaker
Тема Re: High availability with Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:36, Elior Soliman <elior.soliman@correlix.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My company looking for some solution for High availability with Postgres.
>
> Our optional solution is as follows :
> Two DB servers will be using a common external storage (with raid). Both
> servers are going to use the same DB files on the storage (as
> active/passive)
>
> Now I'm trying to understand how Postgres can work with this configuration.
> I.e :
>
> DB_server1 crashed, so we want to start DB_server2 using same files.
> Is it possible ?

Yeah, I have used linux + heartbeat + stonith (shoot the other node in
the head) successfully in the past.  Basically if you do this want
want to be really really really careful that both machines are not
running postgres at the same time.

[ Note, I dont run this any more instead I use a simpler pitr setup.
You can of course still use shared external storage, you just need 2
copies of the database :-( ]