Re: How to find if a SELECT is reading from buffer or disk ?

От Chirag Dave
Тема Re: How to find if a SELECT is reading from buffer or disk ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
2010/5/25 Chirag Dave <cdave@ca.afilias.info>:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Balkrishna Sharma <b_ki@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am increasing the shared_buffer size in postgresql.conf and want to
>> measure its effect on READ. In essence I want to know if the SELECT queries
>> I am firing repeatedly is reading from the buffer or going directly to the
>> disk.
>> I am expecting the first SELECT to go to disk and the subsequent call of
>> the same SELECT to read from buffer .
>> Right now I am just looking at execution time of the SELECTs and trying to
>> conclude. But there should be a direct way to see where the SELECT reads
>> from.
>
> You can also use pg_stat_database view. you can compute cache reads
> percentage of the total number of reads (cache and physical) between the two
> snapshots using  pg_stat_database.blks_hit  and pg_stat_database.blks_read.

views does not reflect this exact behavior : hit and read are relative
to hit shared buffers and request a block (from OS page cache or from
disk).

Correct, thats where pgFincore will be usefull.

--
Cédric Villemain               2ndQuadrant
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support