Re: Running 9 in production? Sticking with 8.4.4 for a while?

От Tory M Blue
Тема Re: Running 9 in production? Sticking with 8.4.4 for a while?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/2010 4:45 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
>>
>> Tory M Blue wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm doing an OS upgrade and have been sitting on 8.4.3 for sometime. I
>>> was wondering if it's better for the short term just to bring things
>>> to 8.4.4 and let 9.0 bake a bit longer, or are people with large data
>>> sets running 9.0 in production already?
>>
>> I'm aware of two people with large data sets who have been running 9.0
>> in production since it was in beta. Like most code, what you have to
>> consider is how much the code path you expect to use each day has been
>> modified during the previous release. If you're using 9.0 as "a better
>> 8.4", the odds of your running into a problem are on the low side of the
>> risk curve. But those using the features that are both new and were
>> worked on until the very end of the development cycle, like the new
>> replication features, they are much more likely to run into a bug.
>
> A conservative approach is never to use version x.0 of *anything*.  The PG
> developers are very talented (and also very helpful on these mailing lists -
> thanks for that), but they are human.  For work I'm paid to do (as opposed
> to my own or charity work), I like to stay at least one point release behind
> the bleeding edge.
>
> --
> Guy RouillierG

Thanks guys, truly appreciate the length to which you replied. I like
hearing the theory and reasoning behind ones decision.

It sounds like my general theory of waiting is shared amongst the
group. I can't really absorb large issues in production, so I'll throw
the .4 release of 8.4 out and be happy for a while.

I'm using slony, so it will take a ton of testing and time to look
over and test the 9.0 replication piece, if I even consider making
that jump.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated

Tory