Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Mladen Gogala
<mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 5:27 PM, Jon Nelson wrote:
>>
>> start loop:
>>   populate rows in temporary table
>>   insert from temporary table into permanent table
>>   truncate temporary table
>>   loop
>>
>> I do something similar, where I COPY data to a temporary table, do
>> lots of manipulations, and then perform a series of INSERTS from the
>> temporary table into a permanent table.
>>

> 1) It's definitely not faster because you have to insert into the temporary
> table, in addition to inserting into the permanent table.
> 2) This is what I had in mind:
>
> mgogala=# create table a(c1 int);
> CREATE TABLE
> mgogala=# create temporary table t1(c1 int) on commit delete rows;
> CREATE TABLE
> mgogala=# begin;
> BEGIN
> mgogala=# insert into t1 select generate_series(1,1000);
> INSERT 0 1000
> mgogala=# insert into a select * from t1;
> INSERT 0 1000
> mgogala=# commit;
> COMMIT
> mgogala=# select count(*) from a;
>  count
> -------
>  1000
> (1 row)
>
> mgogala=# select count(*) from t1;
>  count
> -------
>     0
> (1 row)
>
> The table is created with "on commit obliterate rows" option which means
> that there is no need to do "truncate". The "truncate" command is a heavy
> artillery. Truncating a temporary table is like shooting ducks in a duck
> pond, with a howitzer.

You are not paying attention ;-).  Look upthread: "I am inserting each
row in a separate transaction, due to design of my program." (also on
commit/drop is no picnic either, but I digress...)

merlin