Re: reinstall postgreSQL same version while server up and running possible under linux ?

От Gerhard Hintermayer
Тема Re: reinstall postgreSQL same version while server up and running possible under linux ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Robert Gravsjö <robert@blogg.se> wrote:

> On 2010-11-02 15.51, Gerhard Hintermayer wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I know that. But slots are reserved per major version (i.e.
>> one for 8.1, one for 8.4, one for 9.0), but you don't have multiple
>> slots per minor version.
>
> Yes, you're right. I made the faulty assumption you were upgrading.

>>> You can install multiple versions of PostgreSQL on Gentoo. Portage calls
>>> this SLOT[1].

>>> Depending on your definition here. You will need to restart your server
>>> at
>>> some point.
>>
>> Of course, but the still running old binary has all (probable
>> obsoleted) .so's loaded, so the running copy should still work, even
>> though some of the linked libraries might have gone due to updates.
>> But I don't know what happens with newly spawned client process
>> (actually I even don't know if client processes are spawned or
>> exec'ed)
>
> As far as I know it's spawned.

So all spawned postgres processes will contain references to to
obsolete libraries, but as ther're already in memory, this shouldn't
make a problem. After I do a stop/start next time, the new
binaries/libraries  will take over and everything *should* be OK.
I tried this out on my backup server (reinstall the 8.1 slot with an
upgrade to the latest version), found no problems up to now, (still
running the old server version, new client apps do work) , but I'm
still hesitating to do this on my production system :-(

regards
Gerhard

От: Vladimir Rusinov
Сообщение: Re: reinstall postgreSQL same version while server up and running possible under linux ?
От: Gerrit Seré
Сообщение: Compiling PostgreSql 9.0 on Sparc Solaris (64 bit)