Re: upper and UTF-8

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: upper and UTF-8
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj@servoyant.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the database has to accept data in multiple languages, since it is a SaaS offering.
>
> The encoding determines that, not the collation.  UTF-8 allows you to
> insert various languages in that encoding.
>
>> It is not a big deal - I just found it interesting that it did not uppercase the accented letters.
>
> Just tested it and the lc_collate seems to make the difference.

To be more specific, when my lc_collate is en_US, it works properly.
I didn't have to use a spanish collation to make it work.  Note that
changing collation will change sort order, and some matching rules and
things like that.  Also, a db is usually noticeably faster working
with text in locale of C, because it then treats the data mostly as
though it's in byte order.