Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran the following tests w/libpqtypes.  While you probably wont end
> up using libpqtypes, it's illustrative to mention it because it's
> generally the easiest way to get data into postgres and by far the
> fastest (excluding 'COPY').  source code follows after the sig (I
> banged it out quite quickly, it's messy!) :-).  I am not seeing your
> results.

I had a really horrible bug in there -- leaking a param inside the
array push loop.  cleaning it up dropped another 5 seconds or so from
the 4th million inserted to the remote server!.  Using local prepare
(PQspecPrepare) prob another second or two could be shaved off.

 PGparam *t = PQparamCreate(conn);

 for(i=0; i<INS_COUNT; i++)
 {
   PGint4 a=i;
   PGtext b = "some_text";
   PGtimestamp c;
   PGbytea d;

   d.len = 8;
   d.data = b;

   c.date.isbc   = 0;
   c.date.year   = 2000;
   c.date.mon    = 0;
   c.date.mday   = 19;
   c.time.hour   = 10;
   c.time.min    = 41;
   c.time.sec    = 6;
   c.time.usec   = 0;
   c.time.gmtoff = -18000;

   PQputf(t, "%int4 %text %timestamptz %bytea", a, b, &c, &d);
   PQputf(arr.param, "%ins_test", t);
   PQparamReset(t);
 }

merlin