Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum

От Maxim Boguk
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: PD_ALL_VISIBLE flag was incorrectly set happend during repeatable vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 28.02.2011 23:28, daveg wrote:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:46:14AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
We'll likely need to go back and forth a few times with various
debugging patches until we get to the heart of this..

Anything new on this? I'm seeing at on one of my clients production boxes.

I haven't heard anything from the OP since.

Also, what is the significance, ie what is the risk or damage potential if
this flag is set incorrectly?

Sequential scans will honor the flag, so you might see some dead rows incorrectly returned by a sequential scan. That's the only "damage", but an incorrectly set flag could be a sign of something more sinister, like corrupt tuple headers. The flag should never be set incorrectly, so if you see that message you have hit a bug in PostgreSQL, or you have bad hardware.

This flag is quite new, so a bug in PostgreSQL is quite possible. If you still have a backup that contains those incorrectly set flags, I'd like to see what the page looks like.

--
 Heikki Linnakangas
 EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Sorry, I was a bit busy lately.
This effect on my production servers seems have floating nature (some weeks it happen each day many time and some weeks - not at all... phase of the moon may be). Last 2 weeks I don't see that error in database logs so I can't add anything more.

What make situation even harder to debug it is I can't compile and install patched version of database engine (because it is production server and I physically don't have access to changing software there). So I trying to reproduce error on single connect  (so I can attach GDB and look inside) but without luck during last week.

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA.

Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim.boguk@gmail.com

LinkedIn profile: http://nz.linkedin.com/in/maximboguk
If they can send one man to the moon... why can't they send them all?

МойКруг: http://mboguk.moikrug.ru/
Сила солому ломит, но не все в нашей жизни - солома, да и сила далеко не все.