Re: extremly bad select performance on huge table

От Igor Neyman
Тема Re: extremly bad select performance on huge table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Björn Wittich
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:06 AM
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] extremly bad select performance on huge table

Hi Igor,

that was also my assumption, but unfortunately this isn't true.
I am using the explain analyze.

Example which is fast "explain analyze select value from smallertable inner join myhugetable ON smallertable.mycolumn =
myhugetable.mycolumn"

130 - 140 sec

Example which is fast "explain analyze select value,c1 from smallertable inner join myhugetable ON
smallertable.mycolumn= myhugetable.mycolumn"

does not complete after several hours although the c1 coulmn should only be relevant for retrieval.

Comparing the explain comparison of both statements gave me a hint:

adding the c1 column changes the query planner to make a sequential scan on myhugetable as well as on smallertable.
Thisis much slower.

When I set enable_seqscan=false the queryplanner shows the same query plan for both statements but the statement
includingthe c1 column does not complete after several hours.

How can this be explained?

I do not want the db server to prepare the whole query result at once, my intention is that the asynchronous retrieval
startsas fast as possible.

Thanks
Björn

Impressive!

> Even a join on this table is now fast.
>
> Unfortunately, there is now another problem: The table in my example
> has
> 500 columns which I want to retrieve with my join command.
>
> Example which is fast "select value from smallertable inner join myhugetable ON smallertable.mycolumn =
myhugetable.mycolumn"

> Example which is slow "select value,c1,c2,c3,...,c10 from smallertable inner join myhugetable ON
smallertable.mycolumn= myhugetable.mycolumn"

> Which is the number of columns to fetch so bad ? Which action is done
> in the db system when querying this via pgadmin? I think that there is
> no real retrieval included, why is the number of additional columns so
> bad for the join performance?
>
>> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bj=F6rn_Wittich?= <Bjoern_Wittich@gmx.de> writes:
>>> Here is the explain (analyze,buffers) select mycolumn from
>>> myhugetable "Index Only Scan using myprimkey on myhugetable
>>> (cost=0.00..8224444.82
>>> rows=71768080 width=33) (actual time=16.722..2456300.778
>>> rows=71825999 loops=1)"
>>> "  Heap Fetches: 356861"
>>> "  Buffers: shared hit=71799472 read=613813"
>>> "Total runtime: 2503009.611 ms"
>> So that works out to about 4 msec per page fetched considering only
>> I/O costs, which is about as good as you're likely to get if the data
>> is sitting on spinning rust.
>>
>> You could potentially make it faster with a VACUUM (to mark all pages
>> all-visible and eliminate the "heap fetches" costs), or a REINDEX (so
>> that the index scan becomes more nearly sequential instead of random
>> access).  However, unless the data is nearly static those will just
>> be temporary fixes: the time will degrade again as you update the table.
>>
>>> Note: This select is just for testing. My final statement will be a
>>> join on this table via the "mycolumn" column.
>> In that case it's probably a waste of time to worry about the
>> performance of this query as such.  In the first place, a join is not
>> likely to use the index at all unless it's fetching a relatively
>> small number of rows, and in the second place it seems unlikely that
>> the join query can use an IndexOnlyScan on this index --- I imagine
>> that the purpose of the join will require fetching additional columns.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>>

> Björn,
>
> I think, the timing difference you see between 2 queries is caused by delivering to the front-end (PgAdmin) and
displayingall additional columns that you include in the second query (much bigger amount of data to pass from the db
tothe client).
> Pretty sure, if you do explain analyze on both queries, you'll see the same timing, because it'll reflect only db
timewithout what's spent on delivering data to the client.

> Regards,
> Igor Neyman

Okay,

So, REINDEX helped with original query, which execution plan used Index Only Scan, if I remember correctly, since you
askedonly for the column in PK index.
Now, when you add some other column which is not in the index, it switches to Sequential Scan.
So, check the bloat on the table.  May be performance could be improved if you VACUUM bloated table.

Regards,
Igor Neyman

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: Query with large number of joins
От: Kevin Grittner
Сообщение: Re: extremly bad select performance on huge table