Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dzmitry wrote:
> On 8/19/13 11:36 AM, "Stéphane Schildknecht" <stephane.schildknecht@postgresql.fr> wrote:
>> Le 19/08/2013 10:07, Dzmitry a écrit :
>>>  I have postgres server running on ubuntu 12,Intel Xeon 8 CPUs 29 GB RAM.
>>> With following settings:
>>> max_connections = 550
>>> shared_buffers = 12GB
>>> temp_buffers = 8MB
>>> max_prepared_transactions = 0
>>> work_mem = 50MB
>>> maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
>>> fsync = on
>>> wal_buffers = 16MB
>>> commit_delay = 50
>>> commit_siblings = 7
>>> checkpoint_segments = 32
>>> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>>> effective_cache_size = 22GB
>>> autovacuum = on
>>> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1800
>>> autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 900
>>>
>>> I am doing a lot of writes to DB in 40 different threads ­ so every thread
>>> check if record exists ­ if not => insert record, if exists => update record.
>>> During this update, my disk IO almost always ­ 100% and sometimes it crash my
>>> DB with following message:
>>>
>>> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 28354) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
[...]
>>> My DB size is not very big ­ 169GB.
>>>
>>> Anyone know how can I get rid of DB crash  ?

>> The fact that the checkpointer was killed -9 let me think the OOMKiller has
>> detected you were out of memory.
>>
>> Could that be the case?
>>
>> 12GB of shared_buffers on a 29Gb box is too high. You should try to lower that
>> value to 6GB, for instance.
>> 550*50MB, that is 27GB of RAM that PostgreSQL could try to adress.
>>
>> I can imagine your system is swapping a lot, and you exhaust swap memory before crash.

> I don't think it's the case. I am using newrelic for monitoring my DB
> servers(I have one master and 2 slaves - all use the same configuration) -
> memory is not going above 12.5GB, so I have a good reserve, also I don't
> see any swapping there :(

You can check by examining /var/log/messages to see if the OOM
killer is at fault, which is highly likely.

The OOM killer uses heuristics, so it does the wrong thing occasionally.

The documentation is helpful:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads
Сообщение: Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads