Re: Database corruption event, unlockable rows, possibly bogus virtual xids? (-1/4444444444)

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Database corruption event, unlockable rows, possibly bogus virtual xids? (-1/4444444444)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ned Wolpert wrote:
>   I'm doing a postmortem on a corruption event we had. I have an idea on what happened, but not sure.
> I figure I'd share what happened and see if I'm close to right here.
>
>   Event: Running 9.1.6 with hot-standby, archiving 4 months of wal files, and even a nightly pg_dump
> all. 50G database.  Trying to update or delete a row in a small (21 row, but heavily used table) would
> lock up completely. Never finish. Removed all clients, restarted the db instance, no joy. Check
> pg_stat_activity, and nothing that wasn't idle.... run the delete, locked up.
>
>   Ran (SELECT*FROM pg_class JOIN pg_locks ON pg_locks.relation = pg_class.oid;) with no clients
> touching this row, fresh restart of the db, and saw virtualtransactions against this same table where
> the values would be -1/nnnnn were nnnnn was a huge number.  Turns out we had about 159 entries from
> different tables in the database.  Checked hot-standby and, of course, no locks or anything.  Switched
> to hot-standby.
>
>   Hot-standby instantly gained these locks, Also noticed that 2 prepared transactions migrated to the
> hot-standby. Binary upgraded to 9.1.8, locks still existed. Ended up executing the one thing we knew
> would work. Take the site down, pg_dumpall to fresh instance. Everything is fine.
>
> A little more background: We were running 9.1.4 back when 9.1.6 came out. We saw there was possible
> corruption issues and did a binary upgrade and reindexing. Everything seemed to be fine, but I wonder
> if we really had problems back then. We rebuilt the hot-standby after the binary upgrade via normal
> restore and wal-file replays.  I should also note that this row that had the lock on it that would not
> go away, was created by an app server that was killed (via -9) since it was non-responsive, and the
> row 'create date' (in db and logs) is the exact time the app server was killed.
>
> I was wondering if a) these virtualtransactions that start with '-1/' indicate a problem, b) if this
> could have happened from pre 9.1.6 corruption that was fixed in 9.1.6. Or, could this have occurred
> when we killed that app server? Or.... am I looking in the wrong place.
>
> I do still have the old data directories so I can start them up and check out the dataset. Any advice?

What do you get for
  SELECT * FROM pg_prepared_xacts;

Have you tried to ROLLBACK PREPARED those prepared transactions?

The "-1" is quite alright:

BEGIN;
INSERT INTO addr VALUES (10, '127.0.0.1');
PREPARE TRANSACTION 'test';

test=> SELECT * FROM pg_prepared_xacts;
 transaction | gid  |           prepared            |  owner  | database
-------------+------+-------------------------------+---------+----------
        2275 | test | 2013-02-22 09:09:04.627137+01 | laurenz | test

test=> SELECT database, relation, transactionid, virtualtransaction, mode FROM pg_locks;
 database | relation | transactionid | virtualtransaction |       mode
----------+----------+---------------+--------------------+------------------
    16421 |    11069 |               | 2/15               | AccessShareLock
          |          |               | 2/15               | ExclusiveLock
          |          |          2275 | -1/2275            | ExclusiveLock
    16421 |    24711 |               | -1/2275            | RowExclusiveLock
(4 rows)

The last two rows are the prepared transaction.

ROLLBACK PREPARED 'test';

Gets rid of them.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Ned Wolpert
Сообщение: Re: Database corruption event, unlockable rows, possibly bogus virtual xids? (-1/4444444444)
От: Ned Wolpert
Сообщение: Re: Database corruption event, unlockable rows, possibly bogus virtual xids? (-1/4444444444)