Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?

От Hiltibidal, Robert
Тема Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
What is your row size?

Have you checked to see what your current inserts per second are?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Scott
Marlowe
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:56 AM
To: Merlin Moncure
Cc: Karen Hill; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] How long should it take to insert 200,000
records?

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 10:40, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 18:35, Karen Hill wrote:
> > > I have a pl/pgsql function that is inserting 200,000 records for
> > > testing purposes.  What is the expected time frame for this
operation
> > > on a pc with 1/2 a gig of ram and a 7200 RPM disk?   The processor
is
> > > a 2ghz cpu.  So far I've been sitting here for about 2 million ms
> > > waiting for it to complete, and I'm not sure how many inserts
postgres
> > > is doing per second.
> >
> > That really depends.  Doing 200,000 inserts as individual
transactions
> > will be fairly slow.  Since PostgreSQL generally runs in autocommit
> > mode, this means that if you didn't expressly begin a transaction,
you
> > are in fact inserting each row as a transaction.  i.e. this:
>
> I think OP is doing insertion inside a pl/pgsql loop...transaction is
> implied here.

Yeah, I noticed that about 10 seconds after hitting send... :)

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
entitynamed above.  If the reader of the email is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
deliveringit to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of this email
transmissionis strictly prohibited by the sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the
emailand immediately notify the sender via the email return address or mailto:postmaster@argushealth.com.  Thank you.