Volunteer to build a configuration tool

I am a Java Software architect, DBA, and project manager for the University of Illinois, Department of Web Services.  We use PostgreSQL to serve about 2 million pages of dynamic content a month; everything from calendars, surveys, forms, discussion boards, RSS feeds, etc.  I am really impressed with this tool.

The only major problem area I have found where PostgreSQL is really lacking is in “what should my initial configuration settings be?”  I realize that there are many elements that can impact a DBA’s specific database settings but it would be nice to have a “configuration tool” that would get someone up and running better in the beginning.

This is my idea:

A JavaScript HTML page that would have some basic questions at the top:

1) How much memory do you have?

2) How many connections will be made to the database?

3) What operating system do you use?

4) Etc…

Next the person would press a button, “generate”, found below the questions.  The JavaScript HTML page would then generate content for two Iframes at the bottom on the page.  One Iframe would contain the contents of the postgresql.conf file.  The postgresql.conf settings would be tailored more to the individuals needs than the standard default file.  The second Iframe would contain the default settings one should consider using with their operating system.

My web team would be very happy to develop this for the PostgreSQL project.   It would have saved us a lot of time by having a configuration tool in the beginning.  I am willing to make this a very high priority for my team.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs