RE: Queries

От John Pagakis
Тема RE: Queries
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
For a situation like this I have always used the upper() function :

SELECT
    *
FROM
    table_name
WHERE
    upper( last_name ) = 'DEFELICE';

This way, regardless of what is stored in the last_name field, it is forced
to upper before the comparison (it doesn't later what is actually in the
field, so it's safe that way).

I'm not positive, but I believe this is more efficient than RegEx.  The nice
thing about RegEx is it is generic and has many purposes.  The bad thing
about RegEx is that *BECAUSE* it is generic, it does none of those things
particularly efficiently.

Good Luck!!
John Pagakis - john.pagakis@developonline.com
DevelopOnline.com
(480)377-6828

"Not everyone is going to like what I do, and
 that's something I can accept; if everyone liked
 what I did, I probably wouldn't be playing
 anything of depth."
        -- Joshua Redman

This signature generated by the shareware version of
     ... and I Quote!! Copyright (C) 1999 SpaZmodic Frog Software, Inc.