Re: Hardware advice

От Roman Fail
Тема Re: Hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Based on what you've said, I would guess you are considering the Dell PowerEdge 2650 since it has 5 drive bays.  If you
couldafford the rackspace and just a bit more money, I'd get the tower configuration 2600 with 6 drive bays (and rack
railsif needed - Dell even gives you a special rackmount faceplate if you order a tower with rack rails).  This would
allowyou to have this configuration, which I think would be about ideal for the price range you are looking at:

* Linux kernel RAID
* Dual processors - better than a single faster processor, especially with concurrent user load and software RAID on
topof that

* 2x36GB in RAID-1 (for OS and WAL)
* 4x146GB in RAID-10 (for data) (alternative: 4-disk RAID-5)

The RAID-10 array gives you the same amount of space you would have with a 3-disk RAID-5 and improved fault tolerance.
AlthoughI'm pretty sure your drives won't be hot-swappable with the software RAID - I've never actually had to do it.

I can't say I like Scott's idea much because the WAL and OS are competing for disk time with the data since they are on
thesame physical disk.  In a database that is mainly reads with few writes, this wouldn't be such a problem though.

Just my inexpert opinion,

Roman