Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows

От Vig, Sandor (G/FI-2)
Тема Re: PostgreSQL is extremely slow on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

I changed fsync to false. It took 8 minutes to restore the full database.
That is 26 times faster than before. :-/ (aprox. 200 tps)
With background writer it took 12 minutes. :-(

The funny thing is, I had a VMWARE emulation on the same Windows mashine,
running Red Hat, with fsync turned on. It took also 8 minutes to finish.
Probably the Linux code is better + VMWARE optimises (physical) disk
access.(?)

It seems to me, I need 2 types of operating modes:
- For bulk loading (database restore) : fsync=false
- Normal operation fsync=true

Am I right? How can I do it "elegantly"?

I Think, it should be a "performance tuning guide" in the docomentation.
(not just explaning the settings) Playing with the settings could be quite
anoying.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Bye,
Vig Sándor