Re: Orphan TOAST object

От James Farrugia
Тема Re: Orphan TOAST object
Дата
Re: Orphan TOAST object
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Tom,

First of all thanks for the immediate replies!
Was actually waiting for the right moment to upgrade to 8.3 but migrating a live 1Tb database is a bit daunting especially if you have never done it before (as in my case).  If I'm not mistaken i can upgrade to the latest minor version without having to dump and restore so I'll do that.

One last thing...can we run into data-loss problems with successfully vacuumed tables even if there is one unvacuumed database object; what would have happened if I ignored to vacuum that rogue pg_toast (which was the only unvacuumed object within the entire database)?

Thanks again.

James

"James Farrugia" <james.farrugia@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm running 8.2.1.

You really need to update to 8.2.latest.  There are several known
data-corruption problems in 8.2.1, and it seems possible that one of
them ate the pg_depend row you needed.

> I cleanly forgot about pg_depend!
> Even after re-indexing I wasn't able to find an entry in pg_depend having
> the TOAST's OID.  I guess that by creating foo again and linking
> pg_toast_xxx with foo in pg_depend by hand i can make it go away.

Yeah, that's probably the cleanest recovery strategy.