Re: PITR archive_timeout Command

От Ian Lea
Тема Re: PITR archive_timeout Command
Дата
Re: PITR archive_timeout Command
Список pgsql-admin
> 1) What is the advantage / disadvantage of setting "archive_timeout" command
> to too small or too high value?

The advantage of setting it high is that you'll use less disk space
and have fewer files to archive.

The disadvantage of setting it high is that you might lose more data.

In your 30 minute example you could recover to 10:15 any time after
10:30, because a log file was archived at 10:30.  If archive_timeout
was set to 1 hour the log file wouldn't have been written till 11:00
and you would only have been able to roll forward to 10:00.

> 2) What is the impact of setting this value during PITR recovery process?

You mean whilst recovering the database?  I'm not aware of it having
any relevance during recovery.

--
Ian.