Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

От Daniel van Ham Colchete
Тема Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
This is very very very true :-)!

I just remebered one case with MySQL. When I changed the distro from
Conectiva 10 (rpm-based ended brazilian distro) to Gentoo, a MySQL
operation that usually took 2 minutes to run, ended in 47 seconds.
This is absolutely vage. I don't have how to prove it to you. The old
situation doesn't even exists anymore because I used the same hardware
on the upgrade. And I can't mesure how each factor helped: compiling
glibc and Mysql with good cflags, rebuilding my database in a ordered
way, never kernel, etc.. All I know is that this process still runs
with less than 1 minute (my database is larger now).

I used the very same hardware: P4 3.0Ghz SATA disk without RAID. And I
only upgraded because Conectiva's support to their version 10 ended
and I need to keep my system up with the security patches.

Best,
Daniel

On 12/11/06, Michael Stone <mstone+postgres@mathom.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 09:05:56AM -0200, Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
> >unfortunally I don't have any benchmarks right now.
>
> That's fairly normal for gentoo users pushing their compile options.
>
> Mike Stone

Сообщение: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Сообщение: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations