Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

От Daniel van Ham Colchete
Тема Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Дата
Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Gene,

at my postgresql.conf, the only non-comented lines are:
fsync = off
lc_messages = 'C'
lc_monetary = 'C'
lc_numeric = 'C'
lc_time = 'C'
max_connections = 100
shared_buffers = 5000
temp_buffers = 1000
work_mem = 4096

The only two values I changed are shared_buffers and work_mem.

*** BUT ***
I'm using Gentoo Linux, so all my libraries (including glibc that is
very important to PostgreSQL), and all my softwares are compiled with
good CFLAG options to my processor ("-O2 march=athlon-xp (...)"). My
Linux is not an Intel-AMD binary compatible turtle like
Fedora/RedHat/SUSE/... It's really important to have your GLIBC
compiled for your processor.  It is essencial for performance.

I can't imagine anyone buying a $1k-dollar quad-core XEON and using an
i585 compatible distro that doesn't even know what the fudge is
SSE/SSE2/vectorized instructions.

Best regards,
Daniel Colchete

On 12/10/06, Gene <genekhart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a similar type application, I'm partitioning using constraint
> exclusion so queries only have to look at a few tables. I've found that
> there is some overhead to using partitioning so you should test to see how
> many partitions you want to create. Could I check out you postgresql.conf
> parameters to compare? thanks
>

> Gene Hart

Сообщение: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Сообщение: Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations