Re: postgresql and openmosix migration

От
Тема Re: postgresql and openmosix migration
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Sounds like an issue I have experienced in Oracle as well. If you can
you might want consider breaking out your database into oltp (on line
transaction processing) and data warehouse db. You run you any reports
you can nightly into a set of warehouse tables and save your daytime
cpus for incoming info and special real-time (hottest commodity of the
day) reports that you have tuned the best you can. Anything you can
calculate in advance that won't change over time, should be saved in the
warehouse tables, so you don't waste cpus, re-working data in real time.
Pre-running your reports won't speed them up but your users won't be
waiting for a report to calculate while they are looking at the screen.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 11:31 AM
To: Josh Berkus
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] postgresql and openmosix migration

Ok, so maybe someone on this group will have a better idea.  We have a
database of financial information, and this has literally millions of
entries.  I have installed indicies, but for the rather computationally
demanding processes we like to use, like a select query to find the
commodity with the highest monthly or annual returns, the computer
generally
runs unacceptably slow.  So, other than clustring, how could I achieve a
speed increase in these complex queries?  Is this better in mysql or
postgresql?

Thanks.