Re: serial

От Gregory Williamson
Тема Re: serial
Дата
Re: serial
Список pgsql-general

The esteemed Scott Marlowe said:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Gustavo Rosso <grosso@sadaic.org.ar> wrote:
> > I created this table:

<...>

> Because MySQL taught you bad habits?  You told the db to insert a 0,
> so it inserted a 0.

With respect, sir, let me point out that Informix usage says to insert a zero to trigger a serial column, so don't be indicting Gustavo on MySQL use -- he might be coming from a real database where usage is different.

Those of us who came to postgres from Informix-land made [perhaps] the same mistakes. Not a bad *habit* unless you can prove to me that the spec says otherwise. (Maybe you can -- the SQL formal definitions seem to be deliberately opaque and often do not define _how_ a given behavior should be implemented). Just a matter of indoctrination into the local ways of doing serials.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)