Re: Oddly slow queries

От Thomas Spreng
Тема Re: Oddly slow queries
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 22.04.2008, at 17:25, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Thomas Spreng <spreng@socket.ch>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think I'll upgrade PostgreSQL to the latest 8.3 version in the next
>> few days anyway, along with a memory upgrade (from 1.5GB to 4GB)
>> and a
>> new 2x RAID-1 (instead of RAID-5) disk configuration. I hope that
>> this
>> has already a noticeable impact on the performance.
>
> Note that if you have a good RAID controller with battery backed cache
> and write back enabled, then you're probably better or / at least as
> well off using four disks in a RAID-10 than two separate RAID-1 sets
> (one for xlog and one for data).

I just wanted to let you know that upgrading Postgres from 8.1 to 8.3,
RAM from 1.5GB to 4GB and changing from a 3 disk RAID5 to 2x RAID1 (OS &
WAL, Tablespace) led to a significant speed increase. What's especially
important is that those randomly slow queries seem to be gone (for now).

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Tom