Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> writes:
> I seem to get alot of these:

> May 17 21:34:04 discord postgres[20573]: [5-1] WARNING:  could not rename file
> "pg_xlog/archive_status/000000010000000000000001.ready" to
> May 17 21:34:04 discord postgres[20573]: [5-2]
> "pg_xlog/archive_status/000000010000000000000001.done": No such file or
> directory

That seems odd ...

> Currently I'm using pgbench to generate WAL rollover, do you guys have any
> other handy testing tools for this sort of job or is this the best tool?

pgbench seems like an OK load for this, although it doesn't start/end
any new connections while running.  I *think* that that's not critical
--- my guess is that your observation of new connections hanging is just
because each new connection has to run one startup transaction, and
transactions in general are at risk of hanging --- but that could be
wrong.

Also, you could increase the rate of WAL generation by decreasing the
checkpoint segments/timeout parameters, if you need to.