Re: AIX 5.3 Out of Memory Error - 64-bit

От Thorne, Francis
Тема Re: AIX 5.3 Out of Memory Error - 64-bit
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks for the information both of you, I'll look into your suggestions.
Do the switches I've used for the 64-bit installs look to be o.k ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Nicholson [mailto:bnichols@ca.afilias.info]
Sent: 11 December 2009 19:35
To: Scott Marlowe
Cc: Thorne, Francis; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] AIX 5.3 Out of Memory Error - 64-bit

<thornef@cromwell.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm looking for some help with regards a postgres 64-bit install I
set up
> > on a IBM AIX machine.
> >
> > I used the following install options whien I installed postgres
> >
> > BINDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/bin
> > DOCDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/doc
> > INCLUDEDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/include
> > PKGINCLUDEDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/include
> > INCLUDEDIR-SERVER =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/include/server
> > LIBDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/lib
> > PKGLIBDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/lib
> > LOCALEDIR
> > =
> > MANDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/man
> > SHAREDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/share
> > SYSCONFDIR =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/etc
> > PGXS =
> > /usr/local/pgsql837-64/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
> > CONFIGURE = '--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql837-64' '--with-pgport=5422'
> > '--enable-thr
> > ead-safety' '--enable-integer-datetimes' 'CC=gcc -maix64'
> > 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-bbigtoc'
> > CC = gcc
> > -maix64
> > CPPFLAGS
> > =
> > CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
> > -Wdeclaration-a
> > fter-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing
> > -fwrapv
> > CFLAGS_SL
> > =
> > LDFLAGS = -Wl,-bbigtoc
> > -Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/pgsql837-64/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
> > LDFLAGS_SL = -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-H512
> > -Wl,-bM:SRE
> > LIBS = -lpgport -lz -lreadline -lld
> > -lm
> > VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.3.7
> >
> > And the spec of the AIX machine is a follows.
> >
> > AIX 5.3
> > 2x Power 5 CPU's
> > 6GB RAM
> >
> > If I run postgres with the standard postgresql.conf install then all
queries
> > run (albiet sometimes slower than i'd expect).  However if I start
to change
> > some of the memory settings for example shared_buffers,
temp_buffers,
> > work_mem, maintenance_workmem above 128-256MB and run a large query
or
> > create a large indexes i get the error below
> >
> > Out of Memory
> > Failed on request of size 167873 (this value will change)
> >
> > Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated
>
> Don't set work_mem so high?  shared_buffers at 256M is no big deal.
> work_mem at 256M is per sort.  So a dozen users each running queries
> with 3 or 4 sorts could chew up 6G pretty fast.

AIX also sets a 2GB limit per process by default - security policy I
believe (not 100% sure of the exact details).  I've hit this on 64bit
AIX 5.3.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Cromwell Tools Limited, PO Box 14, 65 Chartwell Drive
Wigston, Leicester LE18 1AT. Tel 0116 2888000
Registered in England and Wales, Reg No 00986161
VAT GB 115 5713 87 900