Fwd: (Re)-indexing on updates

От Yves Vindevogel
Тема Fwd: (Re)-indexing on updates
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I always forget that this goes to the writer itself and not to the
group.

<excerpt><bold>

</bold>

Ok, this is a major setback in some of my procedures.

From time to time, I must update one field in about 10% of the records.

So this will take time.

How can I work around that ?

Some personal opinions ...

1) Drop indexes, run update, create indexes, vacuum

2) Move the field to another table and use joins ?  I could delete the
records when needed and add them again

This mechanism, of inserting a new record and marking the old one, is
that data kept somewhere where I can "see" it ?

I need for one app a trace of all my changes in the database.  I have
a set of triggers to do that for the moment on each table.

Could I use that mechanism somehow to avoid my triggers ?

Any documentation on that mechanism (hacker stuff like what tables are
used) ?

Any good books on stuff like this ?  I love to read and know how the
inside mechanics work.

Tnx