Re: Migration from 8.0.2 to 8.1.0

От Thomas F. O'Connell
Тема Re: Migration from 8.0.2 to 8.1.0
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Dec 12, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Helbling Julien wrote:

Postgres 8.0.2 for Windows is install on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 system. The installation was made with all the default values.

We made a backup of one of our database with the following instruction :
 pg_dump –i –h serverName –p 5432 –U userName –W password –F c backupFileName databaseName

What we want to do is to migrate this database on a 8.1.0 version. For that we did install postgres 8.1.0 on the same computer but on the port 5433 and then we tried to make a restore with te following command :
 pg_restore -i -h serverName -p 5433 -U userName -d databaseName backupFileName

Because a couple of functions couldn't be created during the restore we got many problems. All those functions are in the public scheme of the version 8.0.2.

We've seen some options did change during the installation of the version 8.1.0. For exemple :

- We can not chose any more to install the modul "DBsize" which was install with the version 8.0.2.
- The modul "support of pgAdmin" is now called pgAdmin81 (the library's name is admin81.dll).

Because of those two things the two library dbsize.dll and admin.dll are not install in the lib directory ant certain function needs those two library.

Of course we could copy all the missing library in the right directory but that looks to not be really "professionnal".

Here is the main question :

- Is is possible during the installation of the version 8.1.0 for Windows to install some options which will "help" the compatibility between the version 8.1.0 and 8.0.2 ?

Julien

Helbling, I never saw a reply that addressed this, but the dbsize stuff moved from contrib into the backend for 8.1.

As far as I know, the errors you get during restore if the old functions aren't there are non-fatal. But any code that references the old functions should be updated to use the newly named functions that correspond to the old ones.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

110 30th Avenue North, Suite 6