Re: Getting better Google search results

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: Getting better Google search results
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 8/29/06, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> I had an idea while discussing the limitations of our searching
> on irc with a few folks. As far as Google putting old 7.x and
> 6.x documentation results up, why not create a new subdomain
> such as oldocs.postgres.org and stick anything older than a
> version of two there. We could still link to it, and leave some
> redirects in place for old links, but the new subdomain would
> ensure that they would have relatively *low* Google results
> compared to the more recent docs, which is what we want.

Wouldn't it be feasible to add a "see current version" link
which would link from all the old versions to the most current
one?  Say, a page
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/ecpg-errors.html
...would have a line in a header:
Home → Documentation → Manuals → PostgreSQL 7.4 (See current version)
...where (See current version) would link to:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ecpg-errors.html

As far as I understand how Google works, this would push
the link density towards the current version of PostgreSQL,
therefore 8.1 should pop out as top results.

Just a thought. :)

   Regards,
      Dawid