Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

От Juan Casero \(FL FLC\)
Тема Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Luke (or anyone else who may be following this thread)

Do you think bizgres might be a good choice of database server for the
Ultrasparc T1 based T2000?   I have downloaded the source code but I was
hoping to find out if the potential performance gains were worth the
effort to compile and install the code.

Thanks,
Juan

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Lonergan [mailto:llonergan@greenplum.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 5:37 PM
To: Juan Casero (FL FLC); pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

Juan,

On 4/5/06 1:54 PM, "Juan Casero (FL FLC)" <Juan.Casero@wholefoods.com>
wrote:

> I am not sure about this.  I mean I have postgresql 8.1.3 running on
> my Windows XP P4 HT laptop that I use for testing my webapps.  When I
> hit this pgsql on this laptop with a large query I can see the load
> spike up really high on both of my virtual processors.  Whatever,
> pgsql is doing it looks like both cpu's are being used indepently. The

> usage curve is not identical on both of them that makes me think that
> parts of the server are multithreaded.  Admittedly I am not familiar
> with the source code fo postgresql so I was hoping maybe one of the
> developers who is could definitely answer this question.

There's no part of the Postgres backend that is threaded or
multi-processed.
A reasonable explanation for your windows experience is that your web
server or the psql client may be taking some CPU cycles while the
backend is processing your query.  Also, depending on how the CPU load
is reported, if the OS is doing prefetching of I/O, it might show up as
load.

- Luke

Сообщение: Re: bad performance on Solaris 10
Сообщение: Re: bad performance on Solaris 10