DB cluster hanging

От Nigel Bishop
Тема DB cluster hanging
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone will be able to answer this query:

Last night at 3am our Postgresql DB cluster hung.  At the time data was
being loaded.  The parameter log_statement_stats in the postgresql.conf
file was set to true.  This was churning out data into the logfile which
was switching every 10Mb.  Eventually the partition where the logfiles
are written too filled up - fair enough - this had been going on since
about 5.30pm the previous evening and the logfiles were being generated
at the rate of 4/5 a minute.  The partition was cleared of old logs and
I expected the DB to spring in to life, but no it just sat there.  I
could not connect with psql or pg_ctl to shutdown the cluster.

Eventually I had to issue a kill -9 on the postmaster, set
log_statement_stats to false and restarted the cluster, It recovered
itself and the data load carried on.

My question is, is this normal behaviour when the logfile destination
fills up?  There was nothing in the logfile being used at the time of
the hang, just stats data.

PG version 8.0.3 with archived WAL logs enabled

O/S version RH ES4 with 2 CPUs & 2Gb RAM

Thanks very much for any input.

Regards,

Nigel Bishop

Communications on or through ioko's computer systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation
andfor other lawful purposes.

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing, this communication is to be treated as confidential and the information
init may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that
youare not the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately. No employee is
authorisedto conclude any binding agreement on behalf of ioko with another party by e-mail without prior express
writtenconfirmation.

ioko365 Ltd.  VAT reg 656 2443 31. Reg no 3048367. All rights reserved.