Re: Having a problem with RoR-3.1.1 and Pg-9.1

От James B. Byrne
Тема Re: Having a problem with RoR-3.1.1 and Pg-9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, February 27, 2012 16:37, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2012 1:23:22 pm James B. Byrne
> wrote:
>> Obviously, I am missing something important here. The
>> database in question is created thusly:
>>
>> CREATE DATABASE test
>>   WITH OWNER = devl
>>        ENCODING = 'UTF8'
>>        TABLESPACE = pg_default
>>        LC_COLLATE = 'en_US.UTF-8'
>>        LC_CTYPE = 'en_US.UTF-8'
>>        CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;
>
> When you run the above are you doing it as user dev1 or
> the postgres user?
>

>> The manual says this:

>> would be required to create its component objects. For
>> most extensions this means superuser or database owner
>> privileges are needed. The user who runs CREATE
>> EXTENSION
>> becomes the owner of the extension for purposes of later
>> privilege checks, as well as the owner of any objects
>> created by the extension's script.
>>
>> However, looking at the extension properties shows this:
>>
>> -- Extension: plpgsql
>>
>> -- DROP EXTENSION plpgsql;
>>
>>  CREATE EXTENSION plpgsql
>>   SCHEMA pg_catalog
>>   VERSION "1.0";
>> ALTER EXTENSION plpgsql
>>   OWNER TO postgres;
>>
>> So, why is the plpgsql extension in test owned by
>> postgres and not by devl to begin with?
>
> Is plpgsql in template1 and you are running the CREATE
> DATABASE script as postgres?

If template1 has plpgsql as a language extension by
default then I have not removed it.  If it does not then I
have not added it either.

It is likely that I created the database initially in
PGAdmin3 while connected to the server as the postgres
user.  Why would creating a database with a specified
owner result in critical bits of it not being owned by the
specified owner?  That strikes me as bizarre.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3