Re: [ODBC] ODBC Driver on Windows 64 bit

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [ODBC] ODBC Driver on Windows 64 bit
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Well, pg being a multi-process architecture, on a 64 bit system you get the advantages of extra memory for cache all day long.  I don’t thing a 2gb mem limit/backend is not a wall people are hitting very often even on high end systems.  Performance wise, 32 vs. 64 bit is a tug of war between extra registers & faster 64 bit ops on one side vs. smaller pointers and better memory footprint on the other.

Note I am assuming Opteron here where the 32/64 performance is basically the same.

Merlin

That being said, from what I’m hearing it may be moot because it’s probably best to run postgres as 32 bit on a 64 bit operating system performance wise.

Oh? why's that then?

/D