Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?

От Ron Peacetree
Тема Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

"Collecting" the data rows can be done for each RAM buffer full of
of data in one pass through RAM after we've built the Btree.  Then
if desired those data rows can be read out to HD in sorted order
in essentially one streaming burst.  This combination of index build
+ RAM buffer rearrangement + write results to HD can be repeat
as often as needed until we end up with an overall Btree index and
a set of sorted sublists on HD.  Overall HD IO for the process is only
two effectively sequential passes through the data.

Subsequent retrieval of the sorted information from HD can be
done at full HD streaming speed and whatever we've decided to
save to HD can be reused later if we desire.

Hope this helps,
Ron

От: Ron Peacetree
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
От: Ron Peacetree
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?