Re: Link to bug webpage

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Link to bug webpage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> The project is outgrowing its infrastructure.

Perhaps so.  I think what's *really* needed here is someone who is
willing to take responsibility for maintaining a bug database, ie,
removing cruft (non-bug messages), making sure that old bugs are
marked closed when a developer forgets to do it, etc etc.  It doesn't
matter what automatic systems we have in place unless a human is
willing to take responsibility for quality control.  But given a
volunteer, a bug database could be a really nice thing to have.
If we're getting as big as all that, a volunteer or three to do this
shouldn't be impossible to come by.

> I think a bug database that coordinates with the email archives is the
> best of both worlds. That way, discussion about a bug, and it's state
> all get archived in the same location, without a lot of extra bother on
> the parts of the developers, just make sure to CC: the bug system.

I like that idea a lot: just cc: to some bug-input address to add or
update the collected mail for any one bug.

Peter remarked that he wouldn't use a bug database unless it has some
input filtering to remove all the non-bug issues that currently clutter
the pgsql-bug archives.  I tend to agree with him.  A possible way to
handle that is to set up bug-input like a closed mailing list: only
accept mail from designated people (developers and people nominated to
help run the bug database).  So, a bug database entry would start life
when some one of these people replies to an emailed bug report
confirming that there is a bug, or forwards the verified report to
bug-input, or whatever.

It'd still need a maintainer, but something like this would fit
comfortably into our existing habits, which a pure web-based system
won't.

So: any volunteers to set this up and help run it?