Re: PGP encrypt/decrypt - Prereqistes

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: PGP encrypt/decrypt - Prereqistes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 14 Jun 2011, at 5:51, Vikram A wrote:

> Dear Mr. Craig Ringer,
> Thank you for your response.
> I would like to crypt certain sensitive information in my applications such as Student register number, their marks,
resultsetc. For this reason i done a study for doing encryption. Where I found that this PGP will help the
encryption/decryption.
> Any other methods/techniques are there for encryption? I prefer encryption with "key"; key also should not be known
toDevelopers.

I fail to see why you would need encryption for something like this.

If you can't trust your developers, then you're in trouble. Your developers surely signed a contract that prohibits
themfrom sharing confident information (and apparently it is, or you wouldn't bother trying to get it encrypted) with
otherpeople - they did, right?

Your students shouldn't have access to your database server, so they can't read or manipulate that data.

If your developers do share such information with the "outside" world, they're looking at a court case with a hefty
fee.If your students break into your server, they committed a crime.

So what exactly is the encryption supposed to solve? Do you really need it?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4df7066c12091187585653!

От: Stefan Keller
Сообщение: No implicit index created when adding primary key with ALTER TABLE
От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: determine client os