Re: noob inheritance question

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: noob inheritance question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Zintrigue <zintrigue@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's any performance penalty here

There definitely is.  Your design sounds pretty painful to me...
adding a column referencing a side-table will be much nicer.

> If anyone can offer in any insight as too how inheritance is actually
> executed (compared to JOINs especially), I'd be most grateful.

You can look at the query plans for your queries using EXPLAIN.
Inheritance is really just UNION ALL under the covers - it's meant for
partitioning, not the sort of thing you're trying to do here, so your
query plans will probably not be too good with this design.

...Robert