Re: Any better plan for this query?..

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Any better plan for this query?..
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 15:52 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> > 1. There is no (portable) way to pass the connection from the postmaster
>> > to another pre-existing process.
>>
>> [Googles.]  It's not obvious to me that SCM_RIGHTS is non-portable,
>> and Windows has an API call WSADuplicateSocket() specifically for this
>> purpose.
>
> Robert, Greg,
>
> Tom's main point is it isn't worth doing. We have connection pooling
> software that works well, very well. Why do we want to bring it into
> core? (Think of the bugs we'd hit...) If we did, who would care?

I don't know.  It seems like it would be easier to manage just
PostgreSQL than PostgreSQL + connection pooling software, but mostly I
was just curious whether it had been thought about, so I asked, and
the answer then led to a further question...  was not intending to
make a big deal about it.

...Robert