Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing

От Dmytrii Nagirniak
Тема Re: Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks to all of you for the help. Appreciate all your suggestions.

So far (with my pretty limited knowledge of PG) I could speed it up a little bit (~20% or so comparing to the original installation) only by "tweaking" the settings.

I think it is relatively good keeping in mind that no single line of code has been changed.

Just my quick summary. Not interested in query tuning for now, just the DB tweaking:

So far this is my approach:
  • Since SQLite has basic FTS support (which I totally missed; thanks for pointing that out!) I can go a long way with it and probably won't need PG soon. But when I do:
  • Run most of the specs agains SQLite. Only run specs that rely on PG features against PG (which should be minority).
  • Run full acceptance tests (Cucumber) against a production DB (be it SQLite or PG).
  • Will parallelise both unit and acceptance tests in the future.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys.
Your suggestions, criticism and discussion was really healthy, helpful and to the point.