Re: RAID for the DB filesystem

От Brian Modra
Тема Re: RAID for the DB filesystem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
2009/8/3 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Brian Modra<brian@zwartberg.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > my database is hit with constant inserts to 6 main tables (200 inserts
> > per minute to one of the tables, less to the others), some updates,
> > but then the selects:
> > - large retrievals of randomly different sections of the database
> > (indexed maps by postgis). This data is static.
> > - medium sized retrievals of the same tables that are receiving the
> > inserts. By mediou sized, I mean typically 200 rows at once. These
> > retrievals are also randomly different to each other, and typically
> > retrieving the newly inserted data rather than the more historical.
> > The database size is about 300GB and growing.
> >
> > What sort of hardware config would you advise?
> > I'm thinking of 2x300GB SATA RAID 0 for the OS and application files,
>
> Is there a valid reason you're NOT considering RAID-1 here?  I hope
> RAID-0 is a typo.

It was an error. I wanted mirroring. But... on second thoughts, is
there really a good reason for using a second set of disks for the OS?
Once the database is running, its surely not going to be using the OS
disk much, so why not just make a big RAID 10 array and use that for
both OS and DB... partition it as usual I mean - boot, root. Should I
use another disk for swap... for that matter, do I need swap at all...
RAM with be at least 16GB?

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082