Re: Any reason not to use inheritance?

От Vidyasagara Guntaka
Тема Re: Any reason not to use inheritance?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Please replace Polyhedra with PostgreSQL in the last paragraph of my previous mail.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sagar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vidyasagara Guntaka
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 3:44 PM
To: jao@geophile.com; Thomas F.O'Connell
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Any reason not to use inheritance?

I thought that this would be useful to this mailing list:

Our company uses Polyhedra in memory database for storing our object model.  We have roughly around 250 C++ classes
thatneed to be persisted.  The object model is very complicated involving inheritance hierarchies, associations and
aggregations(all kinds of relations that are defined using UML).  Polyhedra does not confirm to SQL95 standards but, it
hasgood support for inheritance.

Some time ago I was working on to replace Polyhedra in our product with PostgreSQL.  Though PostgreSQL does not support
automaticallypropagating constraints, uniqueness of indexes etc to derived tables, I could achieve same functionality
bysetting up alter table statements and triggers.

It will be definitely good if Polyhedra directly supports inheriting constraints.  It will make mapping the C++/Java
objectsmodels into PostgreSQL schema much easier.

Regards,
Sagar.