db commands elicit no response

От Fred Parkinson
Тема db commands elicit no response
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I must be doing something stupid but I can't figure it out.

**I logged into our database server (8.4.17) and did the following:
psql template1   **to get in
CREATE DATABASE planning_services    **database created
**logged out of template1
psql planning_services    **now in planing_services database with prompt
planning_services(#

create table  policies (
 "id" serial primary key,
 "description" varchar(100)
;

there is no response from the database server except return to the command prompt
planning_services(#

all subsequest commands simply return me to the prompt:planning_services(#
\d reports No relations found
What am I missing? Why can't I successfully issue commands from within planning_services?

Thanks in advance for any help. --Fred

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments