to --enable-locale or not to --enable-locale?

От Morten Sickel
Тема to --enable-locale or not to --enable-locale?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi!

I am now in the process of upgrading a couple of pg installation to 7.2. I
am a little in doubt if I should or not use the --enable-locale when
./configuring.

Even though I am a Norwegian, I prefer to have the messages from the data
base in english as that makes it much simpler to ask questions here or to
searc for help on the web. on the other hand, I need to store character
string containing letters outside the 7bit ASCII char.set (e.g. æøåäëö etc.)
and I've had some problems there with my existing 7.1.3 and 7.1.2
installations. E.g what is put in as 'Tromsø' at one PC later shows up as
'Troms>' at another one running the same application... Would
--enable-locale or some other ./configure flags (--enable-nls?,
--enable-recode, --enable-multibyte?) help here, or do I have to tweak my
application (written in Delphi, using Pg-ODBC)somehow?

Morten
(well, I assume I have to do some data cleaning if I transfer my data to a
new database with a different coding, but I prefer that to the present
situation)
--
Morten Sickel
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority