Re: pg_restore problem "Found unexpected Block id"

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: pg_restore problem "Found unexpected Block id"
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
[copying the list; please keep the list copied on all replies]

Ramana Panda <ramana.pls@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using the Version : *"PostgreSQL 8.0.0 on i686-pc-mingw32,
> compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"*

You didn't even keep up on bug fix releases?  It's amazing that your
database is still running.

> It is a running application. It is very difficult to update all at
> once.  I need to change the front end also.

You are in danger of losing all your data without having a usable
backup.  Consider how difficult that position will be by comparison.

> Sorry for inconvinience.

No need to apologize; it won't have much impact on me when your data
is lost.

> I have taken backup on 09-09-2012. it is working fine.

Whatever you do, don't overwrite or delete that backup!  That may be
something you will need to use for recovery.

> with 10th Sep  Backup,  while restoring it is giving error message
> after some tables restored:
>
> *pg_restore: [custom archiver] found unexpected block ID (0) when
> reading data -- expected 4034
> *
> O.S. Version : Windows XP with Service Pack 3

If the data in this database has any value to you, you should
upgrade to *at least* the last version of 8.2 *IMMEDIATELY*, since
that's the release where some very serious bugs related to Windows
were fixed.  Try running the pg_dump version from the newer version,
and you might still be able to back up recent work; otherwise you
will need to restore from your last usable backup and redo all work
from that point on.  8.2 went out of support last year, but it would
be a huge step forward in stability on Windows without any major
incompatibilities for application code, and should buy you a little
time to deal with working through some of the bumps in converting to
later versions.  You should really be targeting the 9.1 release at
this point.

-Kevin