Re: backup and recovery

От Naomi Walker
Тема Re: backup and recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

>Of course, practice often differs from theory, but I wonder whether we
>aren't talking about palliating a symptom instead of fixing the real
>problem.

Certainly a good point, since I might be using the tools to do things that
were unintended.  We have development, test, and production areas for our
applications using postgres.  I regularly move rows and tables from one
place to another, and often one platform to another.

For example, i'll dump a table with a group of customers from one machine,
and add all those rows to the test and development areas, and sometimes
issues occur.  It is not the case that I always move whole databases of
instances from place to place.

We've also written several tools that "COPY table from stdin", followed by
specific "selects" to move rows around.

Instead of suggesting the solution, I should probably state the problem.

1) Before performing any maintenance on a table, we unload it first, just
in case.  We need quick reload methods.  psql typically works well, but is
sometimes slow.

2) We could really use a generic tool to unload "selected" rows from a
table, and move the unload somewhere else to reload.  [NOTE: we had to
stick in all sorts of perl things to deal with \n-like stuff).]

Perhaps i'm using the wrong tools, but I am trainable.

We are running postgres 7.3.4 on Solaris and Redhat Linux servers.

Naomi

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100

Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're
going to do now and do it.
- William Durant, founder of General Motors

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.