Distributed Environment

От Naomi Walker
Тема Distributed Environment
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We currently use a legacy database (DB/C) for our application.  Because it
is old and funky, the only reasonable way at the moment to get decent
ODBC-accessed realtime reporting data, is by using a Veritas clustered file
system (on our Sun platforms).  This will work since the underlying code
uses fcntl.

In the meantime,  we are (very slowly) rewriting our application to use
postgres and java servlets.  It will probably be years before we are
completely off DB/C.  Still, I hate to spend gobs of money on the clustered
file system, since I do not believe it will work with Postgres, since the
locking mechanism is in shared memory.  When we are all postgres, i'll
probably use replication for realtime data copying to a report server.

Unless, of course, someone is considering making postgres work in a
distributed environment.  Is this on anyones to-do list?  Does anyone think
it would be an important addition to postgres?

Naomi

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100

Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're
going to do now and do it.
- William Durant, founder of General Motors

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.