Processors vs Memory

От Hilary Forbes
Тема Processors vs Memory
Дата
Re: Processors vs Memory  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
If I have a fixed amount of money to spend as a general rule is it better to buy one processor and lots of memory or
twoprocessors and less memory for a system which is transactional based (in this case it's handling reservations).  I
realisethe answer will be a generalised one but all the performance bits I've read seem to talk about adjusting memory
allocation. The client has received the general advice from their hardware supplier that 2 Xeon processors and less
memoryis better but for postgresql I'm thinking they might be better off with a single processor and loads of memory.
TheOS is Red Hat Linux.

How long is a piece of string  I guess but all comments welcome!

TAI
Hilary

Hilary Forbes
DMR Computer Limited:   http://www.dmr.co.uk/
Direct line:  01689 889950
Switchboard:  (44) 1689 860000  Fax: (44) 1689 860330
E-mail:  hforbes@dmr.co.uk