Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Benedict Holland <benedict.m.holland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. I needed to do a full vacuum. Again, the database is very
> large. I batch inserted quite a lot of data and then modified that
> data. The vacuum isn't blocking anything. It was blocking other
> tables (as expected) but continues to run and clean. My tables in
> general are around 10GB, each update seems to nearly double the
> size of it so I required a full vacuum.

I was trying to suggest techniques which would prevent that bloat
and make the VACUUM FULL unnecessary.  But, now that I've had a
chance to format the attachment into a readable format, I agree that
it isn't part of the problem.  The iceberg in this case is the ALTER
TABLE, which is competing with two other queries.

> The blocked statements are the select count(*) and the alter
> table.

OK.

> Both are blocked on the update table command.

Not directly.  The lock held by the UPDATE would *not* block the
SELECT; but it *does* block the ALTER TABLE command, which can't
share the table while it changes the structure of the table.  The
SELECT is blocked behind the ALTER TABLE.

> The alter table command SHOULD be blocked and that is fine.

I'm glad we're on the same page there.

> The select count(*) should never be blocked as that is the whole
> point of running an MVCC operation at least to my understanding. I
> can even accept the use case that the select should block with an
> Alter Table operation if data is retrieved from the table, but a
> select count(*) only returns the number of rows and should be
> table space independent.

In PostgreSQL SELECT count(*) must scan the table to see which rows
are visible to the executing database transaction.  Without that, it
can't give a completely accurate count from a transactional
perspective.  If you can settle for a non-transactional
approximation, select the reltuples value from the pg_class row for
the table.

> I also don't understand why a select count(*) requires an
> AccessShareLock. I don't understand why a select should lock
> anything at all.

So that the table isn't dropped or truncated while the count is
scanning the table.

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?
Сообщение: Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?