Re: Cleanup of same archive used by multiple standbys

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Cleanup of same archive used by multiple standbys
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also couple of additional related question:
> 2. Am I correct in my assumption that if for some reason archive
> is not cleaned up and runs out of space, the WALs will accumulate
> in pg_xlog directory on the primary. If pg_xlog was to then run
> out of space, Primary server will stop accepting new writes and
> fail ?

That sounds correct to me.  I've never seen it in practice, though;
we would need to ignore alerts from our monitoring for quite some
time before it got to that point.

> 3. If my standbys are in different datacenter, what is the
> suggested location of the archive directory ? Is it recommended to
> have it local in the data center of the primary server or somehow
> have it over in the remote data center.

In our shop we have found it advantageous to immediately write it
locally, and then use rsync (through ssh and a daemon) to bring the
remote site(s) into sync.

-Kevin