Re: very long updates very small tables

От Lars Feistner
Тема Re: very long updates very small tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On 03/30/2011 06:54 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Lars Feistner<feistner@uni-heidelberg.de>  wrote:

>>> The top possibilities that come to my mind are:
>
>> [all eliminated as possibilities]
>
> If you haven't already done so, you should probably turn on
> checkpoint logging to see if this corresponds to checkpoint
> activity.  If it does, you can try cranking up how aggressive your
> background writer is, and perhaps limiting your shared_buffers to
> something around the size of your RAID controller's BBU cache.  (I
> hope you have a RAID controller with BBU cache configured for
> write-back, anyway.)
>
> -Kevin

Hello Kevin,

i am sorry to disappoint you here. As I said in my first E-Mail we don't
have much traffic and the database fits easily into memory. The traffic
might increase, at least it was increasing the last 12 months. The
database will always fit into memory.
No, we don't have a raid and thus we don't have a bbu. Actually we
started off with a big SAN that our data centre offered. But sometimes
this SAN was a bit slow and when we first encountered the very long
updates i thought there was a connection between the long running
updates and the slowliness of the SAN, so i started to use the local
disk (we are talking about one disk not disks) for the database. I am
still seeing the long running inserts and updates. I am still following
the auto vacuum trail, it does still not run frequently enough. Thanks a
lot for the replies so far. I will keep you guys informed about my next
steps and the results.

Thanx a lot
Lars

Lars Feistner

Kompetenzzentrum für Prüfungen in der Medizin
Medizinische Fakultät Heidelberg,
Im Neuenheimer Feld 346, Raum 013
69120 Heidelberg

E-Mail: feistner@uni-heidelberg.de