Re: Confused by 'timing' results

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:

> With this approach, I will be assuming that the query time does
> not change due to client location, which though reasonable, is
> still an assumption.

As I explained in an earlier post, the query can block on the server
due to network bandwidth or latency.  So the "wall time" for query
execution can indeed be different based on location, especially if
you are returning a large result set.  But why would you want to
separate out this type of network delay from the others?

If you want to eliminate it as a factor, you need some tier to
receive requests and queue them, pull them from the queue and run
them with another queue for results, and send the results from the
queue back to the requester.  This is what we do, BTW, and it does
give us the ability to totally isolate run time from network
influences.

-Kevin

Сообщение: Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Сообщение: Re: Confused by 'timing' results